Angie’s Spicy Hoisin Ribs
Recipe courtesy of Well Seasoned Gourmet Food Store’s Angie Quaale (www.wellseasoned.ca)
- 3 lbs Johnston’s Pork Back Ribs
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger root minced
- ½ tsp hot pepper flakes
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- Cut ribs into single bone portions and place them in a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to simmer and skin off froth. Reduce the heat, cover and continue to simmer until tender, about 20 minutes; drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, vinegar, honey, garlic, ginger, Chinese 5 spice and hot pepper flakes – mix well to incorporate the spices.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Arrange the ribs on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet; brush with half of the sauce. Roast in oven at 425°F for 5-10 minutes (depending on how meaty your ribs are). Turn the ribs over and brush them with the remaining sauce; continue to roast until browned and the sauce starts to caramelize, cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.