Bourbon Bacon Jam
- 1 lb Thick Cut Johnston’s Bacon cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet onion cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- pinch fresh grated nutmeg
- pinch ground cloves
- ½ tsp dry chipotle powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup good quality bourbon
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- In a large skillet over medium high heat cook the bacon pieces until the begin to crisp at the edges but are still soft in the center, about 1 – 1 1/2 minutes per side. Set aside to drain. Pour all but one tablespoon of the bacon drippings from the pan.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and add the onion and brown sugar. Cook until the onions are well caramelized, about twenty minutes. Add the garlic and spices and cook an additional five minutes.
- Add the liquid ingredients and the bacon to the pan. Increase the heat to medium heat bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about two hours. Check the mixture every 30 minutes. If the mixture becomes too dry add a few tablespoons of water. You want the final mixture to be moist and very sticky.
- Let the mixture cool slightly them put it into the bowl of a food processor, or blender, and pulse about 20 times, or until it reaches your preferred consistency.
- Enjoy, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.