Grilled Andouille Meatball Sandwiches
Recipe Created by Brian Misko, House of Q (www.houseofq.com). “One place that I love to visit is Louisiana. After many trips to New Orleans and other cities amongst the swamp and dry land, I discovered an awesome food culture. One common sausage is called Andouille Sausage and this recipe is where you can make your own and form it into meatballs just for the grill.”
- 3 lbs Ground Johnston’s Pork
- ¼ cup granulated garlic
- 3 tbsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne or more to taste
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp kosher or sea salt
- 200-300 grams pizza mozzarella cut into 1 cm cubes (optional)
- The measurements for this recipe are rather heavy for seasoning thus I encourage you to try it with half of the recipe first then change as you see fit. For some, this might have too much garlic while others might find it has too much pepper but overall it should be a strongly seasoned meat.
- Mix the spices thoroughly into the ground pork. Place the seasoned pork in the refrigerator for an hour or two so the seasoning absorb into the meat. Remove from the fridge and form into equal sized portions for meatballs (about 1 1/2 ounces each or about the size of a golf ball). If you want to stuff them with cheese, press the meat into your hand forming a small "patty". Place a cube of cheese in the centre and squeeze up all of the meat around the cheese making sure it is all sealed up. A little water on your hands may help to finish the "coating" on the outside of the meatball.
- Sear on low to medium heat until the internal temperature reads 160ºF. Enjoy with Apple Butter, Slow Smoke Gold or your favourite House of Q sauce. This recipe also makes an awesome burger.
- Place on your choice of bread or pasta with your favourite ingredients and enjoy!