Grilled Pork Liempo
Recipe created by Chef Steve Waldron of Fat Wally's Firehouse BBQ
- 1 kg Johnston’s Lean Skinless Pork Belly
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp Chinese 5 spice
- 2 tsp black pepper
- toasted sesame seeds
- green onions
- red chile peppers
- Combine all marinade ingredients until well dissolved.
- Cut pork belly into even sized pieces about 3 inches x 1 inch and place in a resealable plastic bag. Add about ½ the marinade and reserve the rest for basting. Remove all air from resealable bag and place in fridge for minimum of 6 hours, but overnight would be optimal.
- Light the grill to medium high using the 2-zone system, which is no heat on one side of the grill and medium high heat on the other side. Because of the fat in this meat, it’s best to have a cooler area on the grill to move it to in case of flare ups.
- Remove the pork belly from the marinade and place it on the hot side of your grill. Grill each side of the meat for several minutes per side while basting with the reserved marinade. Keep moving and flipping until done. You want a nice crispy crust on the outside while the inside should be moist and over 145°F internal temperature.
- Garnish with toppings.