Island Pork Skewers
Courtesy of Canadian Pork - Put Pork on Your Fork!
- 1 lb Johnston’s Pork Cubes (leg, loin or shoulder)
- 1 can (14 fl oz/398 mL) pineapple chunks
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- dash ground cloves
- 2 zucchini cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 green/red pepper cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- Place pork cubes in a plastic bag, non-metal bowl or sealable container. Drain pineapple chunks, reserving 1/4 cup (50 mL) juice. Refrigerate pineapple chucks and combine pineapple juice with lime juice, soy sauce, vegetable oil, sugar, ginger, black pepper and cloves. Pour mixture over pork; seal or cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to overnight, turning meat occasionally. If using bamboo skewers, pre-soak in water 1 hour.
- Preheat barbecue on high; reduce temperature to medium. Drain marinade into a small saucepan; boil 1 minute. Thread pork cubes on skewers, alternating with reserved pineapple chunks, zucchini and pieces of red pepper. Place kebabs on grill; close barbecue cover and grill 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally and basting with marinade. Serve with rice and fruit salad.
- Helpful Hint #1: Leave space between items, especially meat, as you will want to assess if it is cooked.
- Helpful Hint #2: All foods on a skewer should require the same cooking time - put raw meat and vegetables on separate skewers or precook the meat until almost done; then thread with your vegetables until they are tender and the flavours are blended.