Italian Sausage with Pasta & Herbs
Serve this hearty comfort dish with grilled garlic bread or warm focaccia. It is delicious and easy-to-prepare and tastes just as good on day two - Go Leftovers! (Source: National Pork Board)
- 1 lb Johnston’s Italian Sausage Links
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups zucchini cubed
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 8 oz rotini pasta
- 1 cup skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp dried herbs (Basil, Sage, Parsley)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cut sausage diagonally into 1-inch pieces and cook in large skillet over medium heat, turning to cook and brown evenly, about 10 to 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160°F. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add zucchini and red pepper. Cook over medium heat until tender but still crisp, about 3-4 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking water. Add pasta to skillet and stir in ricotta. Add ½ cup pasta water and stir until creamy. Stir in sausage. Add more water if mixture is too dry. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and Parmesan cheese.