Pork and Bean Burritos
Courtesy of Canadian Pork - Put Pork on your Fork!
- 1 lb Lean Johnston’s Ground Pork
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) no salt added beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sodium reduced chicken broth
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
- 6 large whole grain flour tortillas
- ⅓ cup shredded light cheddar style cheese optional
- In large non-stick skillet, cook pork over medium high heat for about 8 minutes or until no longer pink. Scrape meat into colander to drain. Set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat. Add oil. Add onion, garlic and chili powder and cook for 2 minutes. Add cooked pork and tomato paste. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add beans, broth, red pepper, jalapeno and coriander and cook, stirring for about 8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Divide mixture among centre of each tortilla and sprinkle with cheese, if using. Fold ends in and roll up. Toast burritos in nonstick skillet over medium heat, turning once for about 4 minutes or until golden on both sides.
- Helpful Tip: Make burritos ahead and wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To reheat, follow recipe or toast in 375° F (190° C) oven for about 15 minutes or until lightly toasted and warmed through. Use your favourite bean variety such as black, white or kidney beans.