Recipe created by Chef Angie Quaale of Well Seasoned Gourmet Food Store (www.wellseasoned.ca)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Johnston's Ground Pork
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 medium field tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup chicken or turkey stock
- ¼ cup sliced pimento-stuffed olives
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- cracked black pepper
- 1 small handful fresh cilantro chopped, for garnish (optional)
- In a 10-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and brown the pork, breaking it up with a wooden spoon while it cooks. Add the garlic and onions and sauté until fragrant but not browned. Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, chili powder, salt, cinnamon, cumin, cloves, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Add the bell peppers and the raisins. Stir to combine.
- Add the stock and let all of the ingredients cook together, stirring occasionally, until the pork is fully cooked and the bell peppers are tender, about 5 minutes. Turn down the heat to medium-low, stir in the olives and finally the almonds just to warm through, then taste for seasoning and adjust as required with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and serve sprinkled with chopped cilantro, if using.