Savoury Boston Ham Glaze
Recipe created by Chef Chris Fanzega
- 1 Johnston's Savoury Boston Ham approximately 2.5-3 kg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 cups water for crock pot method
- Preheat oven to 325° F (160°C).
- In a sauce pan, combine ingredients except for ham and water and heat over medium heat until liquid has been reduced to a glaze.
- Fully-cooked hams just need to be heated through before serving.
- Place a ready-to-serve or fully-cooked ham in a shallow roasting pan and bake, uncovered, at 325° F (160°C). A fully-cooked whole ham will take about 15 to 18 minutes per pound (500 g); while a smaller fully-cooked half-ham will need about 18 to 24 minutes per pound (500 g). Brush on glaze during the last 15-30 minutes of cooking.
- Alternatively, you can cook the ham in a crock pot with all the glaze ingredients including the water and heat 2-6 hours until heated thoroughly.
- Allow the juices to settle by letting the ham rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.