Scotch Egg & Bacon Caesar Salad
Recipe created by John Hing of The Hog Shack Cookhouse (www.hogshack.ca)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp pureed garlic
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 package Johnston’s Bacon
- 1 tbsp tobasco
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- 3/4 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup bacon fat
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 anchovy fillet optional
- Johnston's Sausage
- Cut bacon into lardons (strips) and cook bacon till crispy. Reserve bacon fat and bacon bits.
- Put egg yolks, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic, sugar, anchovies, lemon juice, tobasco, worchestershire sauce, and pickle juice into food processor.
- Blend till all the ingredients are smooth.
- Slowly add the vegetable oil and rendered bacon fat in the mixture.
- Add parmesan cheese and mayo and blend till smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Dress the romaine (can be substituted with kale).
- Toss with croutons, bacon bits, and more parmesan cheese.
- Cook eggs to soft boil, peel, and reserve.
- Use enough sausage meat to cover soft boiled eggs.
- Wrap a bacon strip over the covered egg.
- Secure with toothpicks.
- Smoke or put in oven and cook till inside temperature hits 160F.