Slow Cooker Beef Carbonnade
Recipe courtesy of Angie Quaale of Well Seasoned Gourmet Food Store (as seen on Global BC Morning News (www.wellseasoned.ca)
- 4 slices Johnston’s Bacon sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 sweet onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup brown ale or porter beer
- 1 tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1.35 kg boneless beef pot roast (top or bottom blade, or cross rib)
- 1/2 cup best quality beef broth
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- In large cast-iron or heavy skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel–lined plate. Discard fat.
- In same pan, melt butter over medium high heat; cook onions, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add ale and sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, until no liquid remains and onions are golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in bacon.
- Pour into slow cooker. Combine garlic, salt and pepper; rub all over beef. Place on onions; pour broth over top. Cover and cook on low until beef is tender, 7 to 8 hours.
- Remove beef to cutting board; tent with foil and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid. Whisk cornstarch with 2 tbsp. water; whisk into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve with roast.