The Versatile Pork Patty
Recipe created by Chef Steve Waldron of Fat Wally's Firehouse BBQ. These pork patties are so easy to make and very versatile. Use them frozen for quick and easy meals like BBQ sandwiches or spend a bit more time being creative and make schnitzels.
- 1.5 lbs Johnston’s Quality Pork Leg Meat
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 3-4 Tbsp water
- Cube the pork leg removing any big pieces of fat or sinew.
- Add meat in to food processor with the salt, pepper, sugar and cayenne. (Note: you may need to process in 2 batches).
- Add in water as needed to get the meat mixture to a thick paste type consistency.
- Put the processed pork in to a large size freezer bag. (approx. 10”x10”).
- Flatten the meat out in the freezer bag removing all air so that the pork completely fills and lays in a 10”x10” square. Place the pork in the bag on a baking sheet and place in freezer for 30 to 60 minutes until it is semi-frozen.
- With a sharp knife cut the freezer bag off the pork. Cut the pork in to 8 equal size rectangular patties.
- Put the pork patties in a freezer bag and freeze until you're ready to use them.
- Here are a few easy suggestions: BBQ’d Pork Sandwich with Coleslaw (https://www.johnstons.ca/recipe/bbqd-pork-sandwich-coleslaw/)
- Schnitzel with a Southern Style Gravy
- Pork Saltimbocca with Prosciutto, Sage and White Wine Cream Sauce
- Pork Parmagiana with Butternut Squash and Zucchini (https://www.johnstons.ca/recipe/pork-parmagiana-butternut-squash-zucchini/)
- Potato Chip Crusted Pork Patty (https://www.johnstons.ca/recipe/potato-chip-crusted-pork-patty/)
- KFP Pork Patty Sandwich (https://www.johnstons.ca/recipe/kfp-pork-patty-sandwich/)