Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
Recipe created by Chef Angie Quaale of Well Seasoned Gourmet Food Store (www.wellseasoned.ca)
- 4 slices Johnston’s Bacon
- 1 shallot minced
- 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- 5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp coarse grained mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cook bacon in a large frying pan over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, leaving the fat drippings in the pan. Crumble or chop the bacon, and reserve for garnish.
- Add olive oil to the pan with the bacon fat and cook shallots and garlic over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes or until tender. Add mustard and brown sugar, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. Add balsamic vinegar and orange juice, cook to reduce slightly. Taste and season with salt and pepper as required.
- Serve warm over your favourite greens or steamed potatoes with crumbled bacon on top.
- Chef’s Tips: I like to use arugula, garnish with tomatoes, bacon and a generous amount of crumbled blue cheese ~ Angie)