Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
Grilling With House of Q – Chef Brian Misko (houseofq.com)
- 2 lbs Johnston's Ground Pork
- 2 tbsp House of Q house rub or your favourite barbecue seasoning
- 6-8 store bought cheese sticks (or cut your own from a block of mozzarella, Jarlsberg, monterey jack or cheddar cheese) each 1/2-inch x 1/2-inch, 4 to 6 inches
- 1 lb Johnston’s Bacon cut in thin slices
- 1/4 cup House of Q rock’n red BBQ sauce or your favourite tangy barbecue sauce
- 2 baguettes sliced lengthwise
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground pork and rub (or seasoning) until well combined. Divide the meat into 6 or 8 equal balls.
- Place 1 ball on a cutting board and cover it with a layer of plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin, press the meat into a thin rectangle, the thinner the better. Remove the plastic wrap and set a cheese stick in the centre of the meat, and then roll up the ground meat around it, folding in the edges to seal in the cheese. If you choose, wrap a slice of bacon around each hot dog, arranging it in a spiral pattern from one end to the other. (Depending on the size of your hot dogs, you may need more than 1 slice of bacon to wrap each one.) Roll, fill and wrap the remaining dogs, and then arrange them on a plate, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Prepare your grill for indirect cooking on medium heat. Place a sheet of aluminum foil under the cool side to catch the bacon drippings. Arrange the hot dogs on the cool side of the grill, close the lid and cook for 20 to 60 minutes, glazing them with the BBQ sauce when the internal temperature of the meat reaches 145°F. When it has reached 165°F, transfer them to a plate.
- Cut the baguettes to the same length as the dogs. Smear your favourite condiments on the bread, add a cooked cheese dog and dig in!