Cuban Mojo Pork
Recipe created by Rusty Johnson of Rusty's BBQ Facebook: Rusty's BBQ Instagram/Twitter: rustys_bbq
- 3 lbs Johnston's Boneless Pork Shoulder (Butt) thinly sliced (approx. 1/4")
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 8-10 cloves garlic diced
- 1/2 cup fresh oregano diced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro diced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- pestle & mortar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup oregano
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/2 jalapeno diced
- pinch salt & pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- juice from 1/2 orange
- juice from 1/2 lemon + lemon zest
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a food processor and blend evenly. If you don't have a blender, chop as fine as you can.
- Let marinade sit for 2 hours to allow flavors to properly blend.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the marinade to baste your meat once on the grill.
- Place pork in the marinade for minimum 4 hours. Large ziploc bags work best as it will completely cover the pork in the mojo.
- Remove pork from the ziploc bag and place on a medium hot grill. Discard bag and marinade. Do not use mojo from the pork to baste. Season with salt and pepper both sides to taste. Continually flip the pork while basting it with the reserved mojo.
- Cook pork until it reaches 155ºF internal.
- Place marinated pork onto a hot grill and season with salt & pepper. Continually baste with reserved marinade and flip. Cook approximately 5 minutes per side.
- Serve grilled pork with mojo chimichurri sauce and grilled orange slices.
- For mojo chimichurri, place garlic, cilantro, oregano, parsley, jalapeno, salt, pepper, and cumin in pestle & mortar and crush. Add a little olive oil and work it in nicely to the paste. Add the rest of the chimichurri ingredients and work into a fine paste. Let sit in fridge minimum 4 hours to allow herbs flavours to blend.