Farmer Sausage Penne with Fresh Tomatoes
Recipe courtesy of Helluva ’’Q’’
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion cut into bite size pieces
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 1 ring Johnston's Farmer Sausage cut into pieces about 1/2" square
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 500 grams penne pasta
- kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- fresh basil
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- In a large pan, saute the garlic, onions, and farmer sausage in 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil and cherry tomatoes to pan.
- Cook over med-low heat on stove top until the tomatoes are just about falling apart and the juices have been extracted into the olive oil forming a thick sauce. About 35-40 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the stems from the tomatoes leaving one or two small bunches still on the stem to be used as a garnish.
- Using a spoon, squash the remaining tomatoes so that they are still a little chunky.
- Add the farmer sausage and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Cook pasta as per directions. Fold pasta into sauce. Garnish with fresh Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, and reserved tomatoes.