Maple Bacon Apple Fritters
Recipe Created by Pit Master Rusty Johnson of Rusty’s BBQ (Twitter & Instagram: Rustys_bbq)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅔ cup apples diced
- canola oil for frying
1/3 cup Maple Glaze
- 2 cups powered (confectioners) sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 ½ tbsp maple syrup
1/2 cup Maple Candied Bacon Bits
- 1 lb Johnston’s Bacon diced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Combine all ingredients except maple glaze, maple candied bacon bits, and canola oil to make the dough for donuts.
- Fry donuts in canola oil for 3-4 minutes. When brown and crispy, remove donuts and let them cool on a wire rack or paper towel for a couple minutes.
- Toss the donuts in maple glaze and candied bacon bits.
- Once donuts are coated in glaze and bacon, add tiny pinches of rock salt to the batch.
- Combine ingredients. Yields 1/3 cup of glaze.
Maple Candied Bacon Bits
- Cook bacon in a pan for a couple minutes on medium heat until the bacon is half finished. Remove all the bacon grease from the pan.
- Add brown sugar and maple syrup and continue to cook until bacon is cooked down and sugar and maple syrup are dissolved and absorbed.