Orange Cranberry Pork Roast
- 1 kg Johnston’s Pork loin Roast boneless boneless
Red Wine Reduction
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 whole oranges zested and juiced (zest saved for pork, juice used for reduction)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 12 oz pkg fresh cranberries
Pork Loin and Spice Crust
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground clove
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 orange zest
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp salt
Red Wine Reduction:
- Add wine, sugar and orange juice to a sauce pot and reduce from 2 cups down to 1/4 cup. Remove from heat, stir gently. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, water, and fresh cranberries, bring to a boil, control to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cranberry sauce to wine reduction mix, stir in the butter, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Pork Loin and Spice Crust:
- For the spice crust combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, clove, thyme, garlic, salt pepper and zest in a bowl. Rub the pork with oil and press the pork into the spice mixture, allow to marinate for 1 hour, frequently rubbing and pressing mixture onto pork.
- Pre-heat the oven 230ºC. (450’F)
- Pre-heat the oven 230ºC. (450’F). In the meantime, take a thick bottomed frying pan or cast iron skillet, oil the pan and quickly grill all areas of loin until completely seared.
- Transfer to the oven and roast 20 to 25 minutes or until cooked to your liking, internal temperature should be minimum 63’C. (145’F). Do not turn while roasting to avoid losing spice rub. When done remove from oven, cover with tinfoil and rest in a warm place for 5 minutes.
- Slice thin and fan out on a plate, spoon compote on pork & serve immediately.
Serve with roasted winter vegetable like squash & parsnip, mashed sweet potato and garnish with fresh thyme and orange zest.