Porky (Pork Jerky)
Recipe created by Chef Steve Waldron of Fat Wally's Firehouse BBQ (Facebook: Fat Wallys Firehouse BBQ). This recipe uses liquid smoke. The Hot & Sweet Porky recipe with no added liquid smoke can be found at: https://www.johnstons.ca/recipe/hot-sweet-porky-pork-jerky/
- 1.5 lbs very thinly sliced Johnston's Pork Leg meat cut 1/4" thin or less
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- Slice the pork leg meat thinly, 1/4" or thinner. It's easier to cut the meat thinly if it's slightly frozen.
- In a 9"x12" dish or similar, combine soy sauce, brown sugar and liquid smoke and mix well until sugar is dissolved. Add the fully thawed meat and coat well. Let marinate for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pork from the marinade and lay it in single layer on dehydrator racks making sure they don't overlap each other.
- Rotate racks every hour or so.
- Depending on desired texture and how thin the meat was cut, it should be ready in 4-6 hours
- Warning: This stuff is very addicting.