Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Glazed Tenderloin with BBQ Crème Sauce
Recipe created by Chef Kevin Legge of Big Dog BBQ (www.bbqdog.ca)
- 1 Johnston’s Pork Tenderloin
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup orzo
- ¼ block crème cheese
- 1 each red and orange bell peppers
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small container whipping cream
BBQ sauce for glazing and making the BBQ Cream Sauce
- pork BBQ rub
- parchment paper
- It’s good to make ahead of time because it needs to be room temp to go in the meat.
- Boil a pot of water and make orzo, draining it 1 minute before recommended, so around the 5 minute mark. Let cool.
- Chop up a quarter of orange and yellow peppers into small cubes, the rest can be saved or used to garnish your plate.
- Using the pot for orzo, place on medium heat and sauté your peppers in butter, add fresh garlic and some BBQ seasoning and black pepper and after about 3 minutes, as the peppers soften, add your cream cheese and orzo and mix. Set aside to cool.
- Filet whole tenderloin flat and pound it evenly to 2cm thick.
- Place bacon strips side by side on a piece of parchment big enough for the meat to sit on. Place tenderloin on top of bacon so when you roll it up the bacon will be wrapped around the outside.
- Place orzo filling evenly on the meat leaving about ½” on the bacon end free from filling, you then roll from the opposite end of the bacon towards the bacon, using your parchment to keep it rolling, and producing a nice roll.
- Season with more BBQ pork rub and cook. Best on a smoker but can be in the oven, 325°F for about 1 hour or until the internal temperature at the centre reaches 160°F. At 150°F you can glaze the roll with BBQ sauce. Remove at 160°F and let stand under foil for about 5 minutes.
BBQ Crème Sauce
- Using a non-stick saucepan over medium high heat, pour in your crème, let it come to a boil and render it down for thickness, careful not to burn it. When it gets thicker, you can add your BBQ sauce and a little more butter to make it creamy and rich.
- Slice the roll with a sharp slicing knife at an angle, Layout the slices on a serving plate and spoon on the BBQ Crème Sauce. Garnish with some pepper slices and serve with a salad. Bon Appetit!