Uncle Buzz’s BBQ Big Boy Chops with Applewood Smoked Mushroom Sauce & Raisin Chutney
Created by Uncle Buzz – Rub My Butt BBQ (2011 BC BBQ Championship)
- 3 Johnston’s Rib-on Big Boy Pork Chops french trimmed (reserve outside fat trim for larding)
- 6 Johnston’s Bacon Slices
- salt & pepper, or meat seasoning
- 2 tbsp oil
- 12 asparagus
- 2 peppers quartered
- 2 zucchini cut into thick strips
- 60 ml olive oil
- orange zest & juice
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 25 g ginger
- 100 g butter
- 60 ml golden syrup
- 60 ml cider vinegar
- 200 g mushrooms
- 2 shallots
- 150 ml white wine
- 300 ml chicken broth
- 300 ml cream
- Pre-heat the oven or BBQ to 425°F.
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- For chutney, sauté shallot, ginger, garlic and raisins in butter until soft, add vinegar and golden syrup and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- For mushroom sauce, smoke the mushroom and peeled shallots in apple wood. Sauté mushroom and shallot in oil, add wine and reduce, add broth and reduce by ½, add cream and simmer and reduce by ½, taste and season.
- Lard the chops by inserting its own fat into middle of meat, bard or wrap a strip of bacon around each one held by tooth picks.
- Brush with oil and season the pork, grill or BBQ until well browned. Transfer to the oven or BBQ and roast 8-10 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Rest covered in a warm place, for 5 minutes.
- Grill the vegetables (aspargus, peppers, zucchini) until done, transfer vegetables to bowl and toss with olive oil, zest & juice and season.
- To Serve: Arrange plate with sauce the bottom then grilled vegetables. Remove toothpicks and place the pork on plate and top with raisin chutney. Serve immediately.