Farmer Sausage Mac & Cheese
Recipe courtesy of Prairie Smoke and Spice
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 4 tbsp butter divided
- 1/2 coil Johnston's Farmer Sausage cut into 1/4 cubes
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 small cooking onion minced
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 3 tsp hot sauce
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until firm, then drain.
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring to make a roux.
- Adding just a little at a time, whisk in the milk, mustard, salt, pepper & your hot sauce.
- Boil 1 minute, then remove from heat and whisk in the cheeses until smooth.
- Stir in cooked pasta & the sausage cubes and pour into shallow 2 quart baking dish.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir in the bread crumbs with a little salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the macaroni mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes until bubble and golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.