House of Q - Pork and Apple Smash Burger
by BBQ Brian Misko, House of Q
Ingredients (for each burger):
- 6 ounces 170 grams Johnston's Ground Pork
- 1 tablespoon 15 grams House of Q House Rub
- 2-4 ounces 60-120 grams your choice mixed shred vegetables such as cabbage, fennel, brussel sprouts, onion
- 1-2 tablespoons 15-30 ml House of Q Sugar & Spice BBQ Sauce
- 2-3 slices granny smith apple
- 1 hamburger bun
- 2 tablespoons 30 ml House of Q Slow Smoke Gold BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon 15 ml House of Q Five Star BBQ Sauce
- 2 slices gouda aged cheddar or havarti cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons 15-30 ml mayonnaise
- 1 leaf green lettuce
- In a bowl, add House Rub to ground pork. Mix thoroughly and separate into two equal sized balls of meat. Set aside.
- Preheat griddle or skillet for medium heat and coat with oil. Sauté the mixed vegetables until just softening - careful not to overcook. Remove from griddle and add Sugar & Spice BBQ Sauce. Mix to coat and set aside. Griddle the sliced apple until they have colour but still have some crispness. Set aside.
- Toast sliced burger bun on the griddle. Remove once toasted. Place two balls of meat on griddle and press with your burger press into griddle plate. Coat raw meat with Slow Smoke Gold BBQ Sauce. Turn over once meat has turned brown. Coat top side with Five Star BBQ Sauce and top with a slice of cheese. Burgers are fully cooked when they are 160-165°F.
- To Assemble:
- Coat top and bottom buns with mayonnaise and Slow Smoke Gold. Place leaf of lettuce on bottom bun. Add one patty and top with slices of apple then second burger patty. Add a liberal topping of sauteed vegetables then top bun.